Ready for the Academy Awards? And a giveaway?!
And a yummy appetizer to get your Oscar’s party going?
I’ve got ya covered.
Today’s recipe is pairing with the Oscar nominated movie, Into The Woods. (For the sake of this giveaway.)
My husband and I LOVE watching movies. People might think we are boring, but curling up on the couch (or going to a theater) and being entertained while relaxing is exactly what we love.
So, I thought this Oscars themed giveaway was perfect for us. What about you, is movie watching your thing, too?
So, these are my Asparagus Roll ‘trees in the woods.’ See what I did there? Into The Woods, woods have trees…. Mmmm hmmm.
Everyone loves appetizers. And these asparagus rolls are the perfect addition to your Oscars party. Or any event really. They are fancy, and mature, but still fun to eat.
There is a crispy pastry dough on the outside and a yummy, cheesy filling and asparagus on the inside.
I used Filo dough, but I think puff pastry would work as well.
Cut the dough into strips that are just shorter than the asparagus. Then cut that into rectangles to wrap around the asparagus and the filling. From each sheet, like this one I cut below, I got 4 rectangles. (I cut it in half, and then each of those in half as well.)
Spread each rectangle with some of the cheesy filling, place the asparagus on top, and roll ’em up.
Brush the tops with some melted butter and bake for 12-17 minutes. The thickness of the asparagus can affect the cooking time. For the really thin stalks I used two or three in each roll.
Bake til the filo dough starts to brown and is crispy. Serve while still hot. So the cheese fillings is still warm and melty.
Mmmmm, enjoy! And happy Oscar watching!
- Filo dough sheets (or puff pastry sheets)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz bleu cheese crumbles, or feta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs mayonnaise
- asparagus stalks- 20-30
- about 1/4 cup butter- melted
- Finely grated/ powdered Parmesan Cheese
- Set dough out in advance for it to defrost. (See package directions on defrosting time.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse the asparagus and break off the woody ends. In a medium mixing bowl beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add in the bleu cheese, mayonnaise, and egg. Beat until combined, and set aside.
- Lay out the sheets of dough (3-4 layers thick if using Filo dough) and cut into strips just shorter than the asparagus stalks. Cut the strips into rectangles to wrap around the asparagus, about 4 rectangles per strip that you cut.
- Spread about 1 Tbs worth of filling onto the dough rectangles, top with 1-3 asparagus stalks and roll the dough around it. Repeat until you run out of filling, or asparagus. Lay the rolls on a greased baking sheet. Brush the tops of the dough with melted butter and sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-17 minutes. Thicker asparagus stalks will need to bake a little longer than thin ones.
- Remove from oven and place on serving dish, serve right away while still hot and crisp.
For more yummy asparagus recipes check out this round up of 10 Awesome Asparagus Recipes.
So, “what’s the giveaway?” I hear you asking…
Drum roll, please.
In honor of the Academy Awards next Sunday, Feb. 22, I have teamed up with 15 incredible bloggers to bring you an awesome giveaway!
One lucky reader will win a streaming media player — their choice of an Amazon Fire TV, an Apple TV or a Roku 3. Now you can catch up on all of the years best films!
Each of the participating bloggers has prepared an Oscar-themed recipe, (mine was the Asparagus Rolls) and they’re up for best recipe! When you participate in the giveaway, be sure to vote for your favorite recipe. The winning blogger will get $50 in cash! So, if you liked what you saw here, please give me a vote!! (wink, wink) Use the raffle copter below to enter. On to the party…
The Oscar Noms Party
Menu & Movies
Pork Tenderloin Sliders – The Judge
Aged Cheddar & Apple Grilled Cheese – Boyhood
Pull-Apart Pepperoni Pizza Bread – Whiplash
Asparagus Rolls – Into the Woods
Texas Guacamole Quesadilla – The American Sniper
Magic Garbanzo Beans – Into the Woods
Nutella Mochi – Big Hero 6
Rocket Raccoon Cake – Guardians of the Galaxy
Texas Peach Crisp Skillet – American Sniper
Camouflage Mini Cheesecakes – American Sniper
Courtesan au Chocolat – Grand Budapest Hotel
Butterscotch Pudding – Gone Girl
Chocolate-Covered Cherry Granola – Wild
Meet the amazing bloggers bringing you this giveaway!
Anne from Wit Wisdom and Food // Beth from bethcakes // Cat from The Rustic Willow // Cate from Chez Catey Lou // Erin from The Speckled Palate // Ginnie from Hello Little Home // Grace from Think Fruitful // Jenna from A Savory Feast // Katie from Twin Stripe // LeAndra from Love & Flour // Leia from Eat It & Say Yum // Linda from Brunch with Joy // Madison from The Wetherills Say I Do // Meghan from Cake ‘n’ Knife // Molly from Hey There Sunshine // Susannah from Feast + West
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Everyone gets a free entry! You can enter multiple times, up to 35 additional entries by following the giveaway sponsors on social media. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the info as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Sunday, Feb. 22, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. EST. One winner will be chosen at random and emailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact. The retail value of the prize is $100. Prizes shown in the graphic are the only ones available.
- Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only. Must be 18 years of age as of Feb. 16, 2015.