Tomorrow is Christmas Eve! Do you still need a gift idea for a neighbor or friend? How about something to take to a party?
Don’t worry, I got ya covered. 🙂
This Chex party mix is so FAST and EASY! And it’s sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike.
I used the same caramel sauce here that is used in my Caramel Popcorn recipe.
This mix has Corn (or any other type) Chex, pretzles, toasted almonds, and M&Ms. If you don’t want nuts, you can leave them out. If you want a gluten-free option you can leave out the pretzles. Customize this to meet your wants.
To toast the nuts. Place the nuts on a plate and microwave for 1 1/2- 2 minutes. Until the nuts become aromatic. You can stir them half way through the microwaving time.
The recipe calls for corn syrup, but you can substitute honey for a different flavor if you want.
Note: To make this you will need a brown, paper grocery bag. A large one, not a lunch size, or ice cream bag size.
Well, I better go finish my shopping. Enjoy the holidays! Merry Christmas everyone!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick or cube)
- 1/4 cup corn syrup (can substitute honey for a little different flavor)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 7-8 cups Chex (about 3/4 of a 14 oz box)- Corn, Wheat, Rice, any kind (if not adding pretzles, use a whole box of Chex)
- 2- 3 cups pretzles
- 1 cup toasted almonds, or any kind of toasted nut you want
- 1 1/2 cups M&M’s- I used plain, but peanut, or peanut butter would work too
- In a microwave safe mixing or measuring bowl (about 4 cup size), add the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir, then microwave for another 1 1/2 -2 minutes. Stir. Add the baking soda and vanilla. Stir again.
- Pour the cereal, pretzles, and toasted nuts into a large, brown paper grocery bag. Pour the caramel sauce over everything in the bag, shaking lightly as you go. Using a rubber scraper get all the caramel sauce into the bag. Then roll the top of the bag shut, and shake the bag to cover the contents with the caramel.
- Microwave the bag for 1 minute 15 seconds, with the top still rolled shut. Remove the bag and shake it again to mix. Microwave again for 1 minute, with the bag still rolled shut. Shake again. Microwave again for 30 seconds.
- Pour the contents of the bag onto a greased cookie sheet. Let cool for a minute or two. Before completely cool sprinkle the M&Ms over top and carefully stir together with a fork or spoon.
- Once cooled carefully transfer the Chex Mix to a bowl or serving dish. Store in an airtight container when not eating.
- Note: Each microwave varies in strength. Cooking times may need to adjusted plus or minus 10-30 seconds. As long as you don’t smell the caramel burning, you should be ok.
You might also like: