I used Feta cheese to make this batch, but Roquefort, Bleu Cheese, or Gorgonzola would work as well. Pretty much any cheese that crumbles like this, not a cheese you would grate.
So mix all the ingredients together and shape into 1 inch meatballs.
They should take 5-8 minutes to cook all the way. Test a meatball by splitting it open to be sure it is cooked all the way through. Remove the meatballs from the pan and place on a cookie sheet in a warm oven, until ready to serve.
To accompany these meatballs I browned some mushrooms in the same pan I cooked the meatballs in. Then served it all over mashed potatoes. Rice or pasta would work great as well.
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crumbled cheese (Feta, Roquefort, Bleu, or Gorgonzola)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs chopped onion
- 3 Tbs milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp (or more) pepper
- 3-4 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- Optional: 4-6 sliced mushrooms, I used baby bellas
- Mix together the meat, cheese, egg, onions, bread crumbs, milk, salt and pepper. Form into 1 inch round meatballs.
- Over medium heat, cook meatballs in olive oil and butter. Adjust temperature if meatballs brown too quickly. Cook 5-8 minutes, turning frequently to cook all sides evenly.
- Test a meatball by splitting it open to assure it has cooked all the way through. NO pink should remain!
- Remove meatballs to a cookie sheet and place in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Optional: slice the mushrooms and brown them in the same pan as the meatballs. Only a few minutes total, turning half way through. Serve alongside the meatballs as main dish or as an appetizer.
You could also serve these as an appetizer, serving a meatball and mushroom slice on a toothpick.
So choose your favorite crumbly cheese and whip up some cheese meatballs soon!
Click here to see where I link up.