Is anyone else experiencing some cold weather right now? It was 39 degrees this morning when I took my kids to school. Brrrr. Waaaay too cold for mid-September. Although, on the bright side, I know this is just a cold snap and normal temps should be back soon. Should be, right?!
Well, to beat the cold, my family and I have been enjoying some soups and stew to keep us warm.
This chicken soup tastes so good, and really warms you from the inside. The creamy broth tastes amazing with a squeeze of lime juice. Seriously, don’t forget the lime! So good.
Let’s not forget the tender chicken, white beans, green chiles, etc. They pair so well.
I added some cheese, cilantro and a dollop (or 4) of sour cream, too. Diced tomatoes and tortilla chips would be good as well.
This soup is even made in one pot, for less clean up. Yay.
So tell me, are you having cold weather? What are your favorite soups?
Comforting Chicken and Green Chile Soup
- 2 chicken breasts- diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion
- 1, 4 oz can of diced green chiles
- 1, 15 oz can of white beans- drained and rinsed (navy beans, great northern beans, etc.)
- 2 cloves garlic- diced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 Tbs butter
- 3 Tbs flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Toppings- optional: lime wedges, for juicing
- grated jack, colby jack, or pepper jack cheese
- cilantro- chopped
- sliced avocado
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- tortilla chips
- In a large pot, over medium- high heat, cook the diced chicken until cooked through. No pink centers. Add the diced onion and garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the butter and flour, stir to coat the chicken and onions. All the flour should be mixed in. Slowly add the broth, stirring as you go. Add the milk/ cream, the green chiles, rinsed beans, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Let soup come to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 5-10 minutes, or longer if you want. Serve warm, and top with any combination of the above toppings. Don’t forget the lime juice!
I suggest serving with corn bread.
See where I link up.
You might also like:
Cambria Corn Chowder
Minestrone Soup with Italian Sausage