The holidays are right around the corner, and I’ve got the perfect boost for your menu.
Oreo Chocolate Cream Pie.
The time for pie is quickly approaching. Here is a yummy chocolate cream version, that sits on top of an Oreo crust. It’s so good. Everyone in my family LOVES it!
So, make your Oreo crust first, so it is all ready to go when you need it.
I use my food processor to crush the Oreos, but a zip lock bag and rolling pin work just as well.
The chocolate pastry cream is really a double chocolate cream. It has cocoa powder and melted baking chocolate.
The dry ingredients get mixed with the cream and eggs to become smooth. Then this filling gets cooked on the stove to tempure the eggs.
Pour the filling over the chunks of chocolate to melt them, and whisk together.
Fill the Oreo crust with the chocolate pastry cream and set in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
Top with whipped cream and serve. This is a great addition to any holiday menu!
- For the Oreo Crust: Approximately 25 Oreos -finely crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- For the Chocolate Pastry Cream: 2 Tbs butter
- 8 oz baking chocolate (I used semi-sweet, milk chocolate would work, too)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbs cornstarch
- 2 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- For the Whipped Topping: 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar or plain white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Crust directions: Finely crush Oreos in a food processor, or in a ziplock bag with a rolling pin, etc. Mix crushed Oreos in a bowl with the melted butter. A fork works great for this. Press mixture into a pie pan. Use the fork again to press the crust up the sides and level the bottom. Set crust aside.
- Chocolate Pastry Cream directions: Give the baking chocolate a rough chop and place in a large mixing bowl with the 2 Tbs butter and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a medium pan whisk the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt, before turning on the heat. Add in 1/4 cup of the cold heavy whipping cream, and whisk until smooth. Add another 1/4 cup of cream and whisk again, then whisk in egg yolks.
- Now turn on stove to medium heat. Slowly whisk in remaining heavy cream and milk.
- Bring the cream mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. The pastry cream will thicken, allow to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and pour over the chopped chocolate. Whisk until smooth.
- Pass through a fine mesh strainer to remove any lumps.
- Pour chocolate pastry cream into the Oreo crust. Cover with plastic wrap, and press the wrap onto the cream. (So a film doesn’t form on the pie.) Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Whipped Topping directions: Whip the heavy cream in a tall bowl until it starts to thicken. Add the sugar and vanilla. Continue to whip until the cream is thick and can hold stiff peaks.
- Fill a pastry bag with the cream and pipe it around the edges of the whole pie, or onto each individual piece after cutting and plating,
- Garnish with an Oreo.