Cake is delicious. Add fruit, delicious. Add a caramel-y sauce over that cake? Even better. That’s what I’ve got for you guys today. Pineapple cake, soaked with a caramel-y sauce. I love it with ice cream. 🙂
The cake itself is simple. And you bake it in a 9×13 pan. How easy is that?
The sauce is only 3 ingredients. You pour that over the baked cake and let it soak down into the cake. Thus the name ‘soak cake.’
This is a family favorite recipe that has been passed down for years. It’s a keeper. It goes fast whenever we make it. That’s a sure sign of people liking it. 😉
- Cake: 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Sauce: 1, 5-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream- to top the cake
- Mix the flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the pineapple with its juice, the vanilla, and beat to combine.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Just before the cake comes out of the oven, mix the sugar, evaporated milk, and butter in a sauce pan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the sauce over the hot cake when it comes out of the oven, pouring slowly, allowing the sauce to soak into the cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream and/ or vanilla ice cream.
You might also like: