Delicious pancakes made with grated zucchini, and they taste amazing.
As a mom, I’m always on the lookout for ways to incorporate more vegetables into my kids diet. And if there is a way to make delicious pancakes a little healthier, then I’ll do it!
Of course you don’t HAVE to serve these chocolate chips or even syrup, if that’s not what you want. But I love both of those things, so why not?! Kinda negates the ‘healthy’ aspect of these…
Anyway, my kids gobbled these up. So did I. Pancakes are always a BIG hit at my house.
The easiest way to incorporate the zucchini is to grate it. It makes the pieces nice and small, so there really isn’t a difference in texture for the pancakes.
- 1 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs- whites separated
- 1 1/2 cups flour (wheat flour can be substituted for all-purpose)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all-spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- chocolate chips- for sprinkling over pancakes
- syrup- try my buttermilk syrup!
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the buttermilk and baking soda together. Add the egg yolks to the buttermill, place the egg whites in a separate, medium sized mixing bowl. With clean beaters on an electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- To the buttermilk mixure, add the flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, and all-spice. Mix with the electric hand mixer, just until the flour is combined.
- Add the oil and grated zucchini and mix again, briefly. Use a rubber scraper to gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Grease a hot griddle (about 350 degrees) and pour the batter on in the size of pancakes you want. I use a 1/4 cup measurer, and heap it slightly with batter. This makes a good size pancake, about 5 inches across. Cook for about a minute and a half, until the pancake batter has bubbled and is cooked around the edges. Flip the pancakes and cook the other side. Only flip once to maintain the fluffiness of the pancakes.
- Serve immediately. Sprinkle the top pancake with chocolate chips and drizzle with syrup.
You might also like: